I always need a little treat to see me through the early part of the forthcoming week. It's been such beautiful, warm weather this weekend, so the last thing I wanted to do was spend it in a hot kitchen.
I'm very in love with fresh Scottish raspberries at the moment, sweet and succulent, the perfect addition to a yummy chocolate tiffin. Tiffin is so much more than a 'fridge cake'. The thick chocolate topping is firm to the first bite, before the crunchy biscuit, smooth filling and in this version, juicy, sharp raspberries.
I've often heard people who make a vegan version state that the cake doesn't firm-up enough (as butter is replaced with non-dairy margarine). A trick that I've found successful is to place the tiffin in the freezer for one hour, before adding the chocolate topping then refrigerating for two hours.
Makes approximately 12 slices
Ingredients
For the base:
150g golden syrup
100g Vitalite (or any other dairy-free margarine)
300g dark chocolate, broken into squares
200g rich tea biscuits, broken into uneven pieces (many brands are vegan, I used Sainsbury's)
100g fresh raspberries
For the topping:
100g dark chocolate
Method
1. In a large pan heat the golden syrup, Vitalite and dark chocolate over a low heat until melted and combined. Stir through the rich tea and raspberries.
2. Line a baking tray with cling film. Press the chocolate biscuit mixture into the tray and place in the freezer for 1 hour.
3. For the topping, melt the dark chocolate in a pan over a low heat until fully liquidised. Remove the tiffin from the freezer. Use a pastry brush to coat the top of the tiffin. Apply generously until a thick topping is created.
4. Place in the fridge for 2 hours until firm. Slice into triangles.
Enjoy!


No comments:
Post a Comment