Sunday, 8 February 2015

Banana and Almond Matcha Milkshake


There seems to be a different superfood trend every week. Who has the time, money and resources to keep up with them all? I dabble with a fair few, but there's one that I stick with time after time. Matcha. 

Ok, so matcha is nothing new. It is essentially green tea in a concentrated form, finely ground. It has been used in Japan for hundreds of years to promote alertness and energy, often consumed as a tea.  


Matcha is a fine green powder that is now commonly used in lattes, cakes and ice creams- no self-respecting smoothie bar is without this emerald elixir. I choose high-grade, organic matcha as it has a sweeter, smoother taste. 

This Banana and Almond Matcha Milkshake is my favourite way to start the day- loaded with bananas and almonds it keeps me full of energy until mid-morning snack time! I'm all about a balanced diet with treats too, so I love start the day with a healthy milkshake or smoothie, then I don't feel bad about having something naughty later on.


Serves 2

Ingredients 
2 bananas, peeled 
2 tbsp ground or flaked almonds 
Handful of spinach 
1 tsp organic matcha (I use Clearspring Organic Premium Grade) 
250ml unsweetened almond milk, chilled 
2 tsp flaked almonds, to scatter


Method 
1. Place all of the ingredients into a high powered blender and blend on high until smooth and frothy. Pour into glasses and scatter with flaked almonds. 










8 comments:

  1. Hi Katy,

    Thanks for posting this recipe - I've been a fan of matcha for a while, but have never used it in a milkshake! It sounds really yummy, will be trying it next time I get my hands on some matcha :)

    Besma (http://www.curiouslyconscious.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This milkshake is lovely and sweet Besma- you'll really enjoy if :) Katy x

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the matcha powder recommendation! I'll look forward to trying this smoothie too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, can you make this the night before & shake awake in the morning??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried but id imagine that as long as you keep it chilled it will be ok :)

      Delete
  4. I'm really intrigued about Matcha now, the health boosting properties look amazing. Could always use a hand in burning calories, that in turn means more cake :) Thanks for another great recipe Katy x

    ReplyDelete