Monday, 22 September 2014

Fragrant Coconut and Sweet Potato Soup


During Autumn, I love to whip up delicious soups that pack a flavour punch. Even a look into this bowl says 'Autumn' with the rich golden-orange colour and chilli-red flecks.

Fragrant coriander and ginger are the perfect flavour partners to creamy coconut milk and sweet potatoes, brought together with a kick of chilli and fresh lime juice. What could be better after a long walk through the crisp Autumnal leaves? 

As you know, I don't count the calories- I'm a big advocate in eating body-nourishing whole foods and having the odd sweet treat; balance is what it's all about. However I do try to avoid additives within foods and recently I've been struggling to find a coconut milk without stabilisers, emulsifiers and ingredients I've never heard of before! Have you ever read the ingredient list on a can of coconut milk? 

I recently found a coconut milk in Holland and Barrett which is 100% what it says on the tin- well apart from this coconut milk is in a pouch and not a can. Rhythm Virgin Coconut Milk has no added ingredients (not even water) and I'm pleased to report it is absolutely delicious. At £2.99 for a 200g pouch, it is more expensive than it's canned counterpart, however the investment is worth it for the flavour alone, especially in a recipe like this silky soup. 


Serves 4 

Ingredients 
1 tbsp sunflower oil 
1 onion, chopped roughly 
1 garlic clove, crushed
2cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated 
1/2 red chilli, seeds removed and chopped finely 
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste (ensure fish-free, mine is Tesco's own brand) 
800ml vegetable stock 
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped 
1x 200g pouch of Rhythm Virgin Coconut Milk 
Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped including stalks 
Juice of 1/2 unwaxed lime 
Generous pinch of sea salt 

Method 
1. In a large pan, heat the oil and onion over a medium heat until softened but not browned. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir through the Thai red paste. 
2. Pour in the vegetable stock, sweet potatoes and coconut milk. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan with a lid and cook for 25-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes have softened. 
3. Stir in the coriander (set a few leaves aside for garnish), lime juice and sea salt. Pour carefully into a high-powered blended and blend until completely smooth. 
4. Pour into warmed bowls and garnish with the remaining coriander leaves. 

Enjoy! 




8 comments:

  1. Hi Katy,

    Thanks for posting this - now that the weather's getting colder I'm stocking up on wholesome soup recipes!
    Also wanted to say congratulations on the Best Blogger Award!

    Besma (www.curiouslyconscious.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Besma!
      Hope you enjoy the soup- it's really tasty. Katy x

      Delete
  2. Lovely soup- we do something like this with pumpkin. I also dislike the additives in coconut milk, but usually end up getting it from Aldi as it's cheap. Recently, though, we started using fresh coconut, which is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it's difficult to find canned coconut milk without all the additives; fresh is always best- how lovely!

      Delete
  3. I love sweet potato and coconut soup! It's got to be the perfect soup for Autumn ♥
    I know what you mean about coconut milk - the most popular brand in our supermarkets has lots of horrible additives :/ There are a few decent coconut milks though which aren't too costly. The Chaokah Coconut Milk (found on the world food aisle in Tesco) only has 3 ingredients - coconut milk, water and citric acid - and it's a bargain at £1.30 for 400ml. I also love Essential Organic Coconut Milk and Biona Organic Coconut Milk which are usually stocked in independent health food stores. Waitrose also sell an organic coconut milk which is a bit pricier at £2.09.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an improvised version of this cooking right now!! Can't wait! Wish I'd had all the ingredients I needed but hopefully it will still turn out ok! X

    ReplyDelete